Saturday, May 03, 2008

Missing a semi-decent cinema/multiplex right about now

It's that time of the year - summer movie time! The time for event movies... when all the major studios rollout their biggest, LOUDEST, effects filled, explosion fueled blockbusters.

Normally I wouldn't mind. Normally I'd have no trouble waiting for the DVD to come out - especially for those blockbusters.

Promotional art for 'Wanted'

Normally I would not see the summer movie season as a 'season'... granted I'd find a few movies I'd wish I could watch on the big screen but that would not amount to more than a handful...

This summer however feels verrrry different. There are the comic book adaptations - that seem to be done in their original spirit.

Promotional art for 'The Incredible Hulk'

'The Incredible Hulk' - Marvel's revisiting of the Green One after Ang Lee 'messed things up'. I personally like Ang Lee's Hulk. Granted it's not exactly canon BUT I do believe that it remained very true to the spirit of the character... but to each/geek his own I guess... ALTHOUGH I might not have the same opinion if someone messed with Batman... fortunately that is one franchise that has been done right... errr... recently I mean... I sometimes block out the memory of Batman and Robin... more so than Batman Forever...

Promotional art for 'Iron Man'

'Iron Man'... If the trailers/posters/preview clips are any indication... this movie is gonna kick a**! AND headlining the movie are people with some SERIOUS acting chops... although director Jon Favreau's Zathura wasn't exactly brilliant... it was OK... but not... well we'll see... me later than others... but...

Promotional art for 'The Dark Knight'

'The Dark Knight'... is the movie I'm MOST looking forward to... Bale returns with the best of the supporting cast from Batman Begins along with Chirstopher Nolan, one of my favourite directors... AND Batman's infamous nemesis - the Joker... I'm expecting great things... BUT Superman Returns was done by a more than decent director... look how that turned out... in case I wasn't really clear there... I thought Returns SUCKED (technical term)!

Side note on The Dark Knight: The 'viral' marketing campaign (head on to, among others, whysoserious.com)has truly turned viral and it is amazing and fun how they're engaging the fanbase - they've tried to include everyone... I took part in one of the 'tasks' and immediately received a call from 'Jim Gordon'... lil ol me in the Maldives... well it was a recorded message... but you catch my drift! ALSO seems the fans in major global metropolitan areas have already got to see the new trailer... whereas we have to wait till Sunday, May the 5th for a peek at that... BUT there are pirated versions abound on YouTube... sorry not linking to that cos I'd rather see the 'original'.

Promotional art for 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'

And then Indie is back after almost 20 years... man I feel old... though I must admit... Harrison Ford still looks the part... he looks old... but still looks the part... at least in the promos we've seen so far...

Promotional art for 'The X-Files: I want to Believe'

and then Scully and Mulder are reunited once again... or so I hear... in the new X-Files movie... and there's also.. going back to the comics again... The Spirit (although the trailer's not imbued me with a lot of confidence in this one... still)... and Wanted...

Promotional art for 'The Spirit'... errr there IS a version with The Spirit too!

OK, having recounted all the reasons why I'd love to be in the vicinity of cinema/multiplex... there seem still to be only a handful of movies... hmmm... so maybe there aren't that many reasons... BUT... except maybe for The Spirit... the others have the potential to make this a worthwhile season... then again... big studio productions squander such opportunities more than they take advantage... so... I might be better off waiting for the DVDs...

Maybe I'll tide myself over with the Batman: Gotham Knight DVD...

Cover art for 'Batman: Gotham Knight'

hmmmm... I maybe I delude myself pretty well sometimes... Oh well... bring on the DVDs... or BluRays... MAN!!! Now I've gotta decide on the format too... well... I've got time haven't I? CURSES!!!

No comments: